The Ocean Township Police Department strives to recruit and employ candidates who meet strict educational, physical and ethical standards. While the recruiting process is ongoing, testing occurs upon a vacancy and a determination to fill said vacancy by the Township Committee. Applications are only accepted during specific times (when a hiring announcement is made).
The general qualifications for employment with the Ocean Township Police Department (Police Officer)
1. Must be a resident of New Jersey and a citizen of the United States;
2. Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language well and intelligently and has a high school diploma or its equivalent;
3. Is of good moral character and sound body and good health;
4. Must be at least 18 years of age and prior to their 35th birthday;
5. Is not convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude or which would make the person unfit to perform the duties of the office;
6. Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license;
7. May possess a valid PTC certificate or an Alternate Route Graduate certificate.
8. Educational Requirement
a. Bachelor’s degree signifying completion of the undergraduate curriculum and graduation from an accredited college or university;
b. or four (4) years of active military service with an honorable discharge;
c. or have completed 30 college credits from an accredited college or university plus at least two years of full-time employment
9. Candidates must pass a physical fitness exam and an oral evaluation. After successful completion of these tests, the candidate will undergo a rigorous background investigation.
10. Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a medical examination to include a drug screening, medical exam and psychological evaluation will be conducted.
Physical Fitness Examination
Physical Conditioning Passing Test Requirements:
Vertical Jump: 15 inches
1 Minute Sit-up: 28 repetitions
300 Meter Run: 70.1 seconds or less
1 Minute Push-up: 24 repetitions
1.5 Mile Run: 15:55 minutes or less
Applicants who fail to meet the minimum requirement of any one of the events will failed for the entire test. This is a Pass/Fail Test.
General Physical Conditioning Testing Procedures
1. Warm up for at least three (3) minutes.
2. Perform Vertical Jump, and then recover for 1-2 minutes.
3. Perform the 1-Minute Sit-up, and then recover for 5 minutes.
4. Perform the 300 Meter Run, and then recover for 10 minutes.
5. Perform the 1-Minute Push-up, and then recover for 5 minutes.
6. Perform the 1.5 Mile Run, and then recover for 5 minutes.
: Applicants should recover through active techniques (walking, stretching, etc.). Applicants may be given more time in between events due to processing delays, but will not be given less time in between activities.
The general qualifications for employment with the Ocean Township Police Department (Civilian Employee)
1. Is able to read, write, and speak the English language well and intelligently and has a high school diploma or its equivalent.
2. Must be of good moral character.
3. Must be at least eighteen (18) years old.
4. Must not be convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude or which would make the person unfit to perform the duties of the position.
5. Must be a resident of New Jersey.
6. Candidates must pass an oral evaluation. After successful completion of the interview, the candidate will undergo a rigorous background investigation.
7. Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a medical examination to include a drug screening, medical exam and psychological evaluation may be conducted.
The Township of Ocean is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and anti-discrimination pursuant to Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act as amended by the Equal Opportunity Act of 1972 and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD). Under no circumstances will the Township of Ocean discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or political status, affectional or sexual orientation, domestic partnership status, civil union status, atypical heredity, cellular or blood trait, genetic information, disability (including AIDS or HIV infection), liability for service in the United States armed forces, gender identity or expression, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.